With the inauguration and Women’s March coming up, I’m finding it difficult to think about much else. So I decided that today’s post is about not being an a-hole as an American and global citizen.
I am so overwhelmed right now, not just with the election results, but with everything that has come out of it- every nomination, decision, act of hate and harassment, and attempt to dismantle facts and hard-fought rights and protections. But that’s the goal. The goal is to overwhelm us, so that it’s impossible to keep up, so that something horrifying sneaks through, is normalized, is met with a shrug and a sigh. We must resist every single time. In the wise words of J.K. Rowling through Mad-Eye Moody, “Constant vigilance.” This phrase has become somewhat of a mantra for me. It’s not paranoia if it’s warranted, and it’s warranted. Here are some other quotes that inspire me to keep fighting and resisting, especially when I’m feeling particularly besieged:
- “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse, and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” ―Desmond Tutu
- “It is not incumbent upon you to complete the work, but neither are you free to desist from it.” ―Pirkei Avot
- “Nice is different than good” –Stephen Sondheim
- “I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept.” –Angela Davis
- “Justice is what love looks like in public.” –Cornel West
- “Silence is the voice of complicity.” –Unknown
- “Whoever destroys a soul, it’s as if they have destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it’s as if they have saved an entire world.” –Talmud
- “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” –Mahatma Gandhi
- “I am thinking how we can use what we have to invent what we need.” –Adrienne Rich
- “Act. No matter what.” –Planned Parenthood
This is why I march. It is our duty to ourselves and to each other to stay engaged and to protect those who are even more vulnerable. If you are not actively opposing these erosions to democracy and decency, you are allowing them. I’ll be in DC marching as a Planned Parenthood of NJ ambassador. Where will you be in the fight?